Monday, February 25, 2008

Music for Zen Meditation - Tony Scott




A celebrated jazz clarinetist in the 1950s, Tony Scott started collaborating with Japanese artists on a trip he made to the country in 1959. He returned in 1964 to teach classes in American jazz and ended up collaborating with koto player Shinichi Yuize and shakuhachi flute player Hozan Yamamoto on a dozen improvised collaborations. Based on the Zen concept of beginner's mind, a state of openness that leads to exploration, the Scott-led pieces predate the more modern concept of "ambient" by a good couple of decades--but, as music descended from temples and designed to ease the mind to a state of higher consciousness, it follows many of the same directives. The gentle clarinet is complemented by the flute, with the koto--a 13-stringed zither--providing a comfortable contrast, though all three musicians appear on only a single track, the opening "Is Not All One?"

http://www.torrentreactor.net/view.php?id=274610

5 comments:

  1. This torrent contains mp3 files that I'm unable to play...anyone else having this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works fine for me.
    What music player are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They won't play on whatever I've used, from WMPlayer, iTunes, and iPod. I can't even open them in SoundForge, so I'll have to assume my download is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just re downloaded the file and I had problems paying it as well, but thats with an older version of Windows Media player, WIN Media player 11 plays them for sure, also VLC player will play the files. They work fine on my MP3 player(Zen M)
    I'm guessing your on a Mac?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't play the files either...I'm on a Mac, using Leopard and all of my programs that can play mp3s (VLC, iTunes, RealPlayer, etc) won't play them...Is there any way to convert them so that iTunes will play them?...Or just play them at all? I'm pretty sad - I really hoped I'd be able to hear this tonight! I hope there's help for it!! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete